Tuesday, November 18, 2008

Turkey Time!!!!!!

For Family Home Evening last week we had our first annual Turkey Off! It was a ton of fun.

It was my week for the lesson, so I decided (in honor of the holiday this month) to have a lesson on gratitude and President Monson's talk from General Conference, Finding Joy in the Journey. I loved hearing this talk when he first gave it at conference, and it was equally great to study this talk again for Family Home Evening. President Thomas S. Monson truly is a prophet of God. One quote from his talk that we loved and wanted to share is the following:
"Said one well-known author: “Both abundance and lack [of abundance] exist simultaneously in our lives, as parallel realities. It is always our conscious choice which secret garden we will tend . . . when we choose not to focus on what is missing from our lives but are grateful for the abundance that’s present—love, health, family, friends, work, the joys of nature, and personal pursuits that bring us [happiness]—the wasteland of illusion falls away and we experience heaven on earth.”"

This quote helps me realize that even though bad stuff will happen in my life, if I focus on the positive and remember to be thankful for my blessings, I can still be happy. I am really grateful for that and for the joy we can experience here on earth.

And speaking of joy...after our lesson we had some joyful activities going on. heehee We decided to have a TURKEY OFF for our fun family activity and we went into separate rooms to secretly create our own "gratitude turkeys." Which are now up for public vote. So.....without further ado, PLEASE cast your vote as to which gratitude turkey is the WINNER of the first annual FOOTE FAMILY TURKEY OFF!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Which turkey do you think is the BEST???

VOTE NOW!!!

DO IT!!!

We know ...it's hard to choose because they all 3 look so amazing.

Vote for your favorite. :)

All the cool kids are doing it.

Number 1 (this is a tracing of Sarah's cute little hand, not an easy feat I might add)

Number 2

Number 2 (cool view of beak . . . not too shabby eh? Not that I am trying to sway the vote)




Number 3 (I would like you all to know that this is hand drawn, not printed or purchased, can we say skills? I think so)
As I said, it is not going to be an easy choice, so think it through and choose wisely.
Now it is up to you, the voting public. So let's get out the vote!

15 comments:

Lindzie said...

I vote no. 1!

lacie tidwell said...

I agree with Lindzie- I vote number 1 too!

Unknown said...

tough call but i'm gonna have to say number 2

Unknown said...

That is very tricky of you guys to have us vote like this. I am going to be in trouble one way or another. I say number 1.

L said...

Num-ber 1... num-ber 1!!!! (it's a chant). They are all so cute!

Rachel said...

well the drawing is pretty good! but I think #1 as well!

Aapree said...

I'm going to have to go with #2, although they all are wonderful! What a neat activity. I may just have Kevin and I do that. Also, thanks for the message. I am going to go re-read that talk. It was especially uplifting! :)

The Harris Family said...

I will go against the popular vote and say #3. I love his facial expression...a true depiction of how a turkey is feeling at this time of year! Such a cute idea!!

Mel said...

Hi Katie,
I found your blog on Amber's. Sarah is so cute and so big. Very cute idea with the turkeys. I am totally going to copy!

Rebecca said...

While they are all great, I'm going to have to vote #1. There is nothing cuter than the tracing of a baby's hand. Thanks for adding me to your blog roll, but I was wondering if you could take our last name off. We're kinda funny about that and are trying to keep our blog last name and location free. I have an odd paranoia that somebody will kidnap my kids. Thanks.

Mike and Sarah Orme said...

Michael and I say hello. Nice to meet you as well. I dont think my blog is as fun as yours bc you have little ones and can do turkey hand tracings. Michael was excited to hear from you and we will definately want to keep hearing from you!

Kristin Chesnik said...

I glad that you found my blog so that I could find yours. #3 for me, although you might not like me much afterwards:). BTW, I LOVE Norah Jones!

Taralee said...

# 3 for me. I love the drawing even though they're all very cute :) That's a fun idea!!

Richins Family said...

Hey I loved Sarah's little hand. It was so cute. Hey we had a great Thanksgiving with your in-laws.

j cubed said...

Hey thanks for finding us!! We have been in the process of moving and just got the internet. What a nice surprise to see you wrote! We love # 2 :) It's great to stay in touch! Love, j3