Monday, October 11, 2010

Viva Bike Vegas/I wanted to die

So somehow my little brother Steven talked me into doing a 115 mile ride with him. Once I was committed I decided to help him convince my dad he should do it to. so Saturday Oct 9 at 6:30 AM we left downtown Las Vegas only to return 10 hours later - and much more tired.

There were 1500 riders that left with us and it was fun to leave town with cops at every intersection stopping traffic for us. I felt great the first 40 miles. I had energy, we were passing way more people than were passing us. We were doing really well and ahead of the pace I was hoping for (a little slower than what Steven wanted)

One of the highlights of the ride was the new Hoover Dam bypass bridge. It is scheduled to open for traffic in about a month, but what better way to test it than to send 1500 bikes out on it right? It was a cool bridge and neat to cross the bridge before it opens to the public.


photo
The three of us on the bridge

photo
The view of the dam

This is about where the fun stopped (other than a few pick me ups from family) We had crossed the bridge and had to ride up the biggest, longest, steepest hill of the entire course into boulder city. Not only that, for the first time in several years my asthma was starting to act up. I have exercise induced asthma and I felt it a little bit about 10 days before the ride, but just hoped it was because I had a stuffy nose and shouldn't worry about it. Little did I know what I was in for.

So about halfway up this hill I had to stop and lie down and try to breathe, I was getting dizzy and light headed and decided I better stop. After about 5 minutes I felt better and we went up the rest of the hill. Through Boulder City. Into Henderson where my wife, daughter, mother, sister and sister in law were all waiting to cheer us on as we pulled into the lunch stop. What a blessing it was to feel their love and support, not to mention encouragement. I was seriously considering calling it quits right there (halfway) but Katie and Sarah told me that they knew I could do it. So I was going to.

One funny quote from lunch - my mom was refilling our water bottles for us and said, "I actually feel awkward not wearing spandex pants."

IMG_1282


IMG_1285
Sarah told me her sign says, "I love my daddy" I love my kid!

After lunch was by far the hardest part of the ride for me. Even though the Boulder City hill should have been worse, on our way up Horizon Ridge we were trying to keep up with this group of about 30 other riders who were really cranking up the hill. I started breathing heavy, then heavier, then hyperventalating. I felt like I was only using 1/4 of my lungs -through a straw - if I tried to breathe deep I went into a coughing fit and then couldn't breathe at all. But I really wanted to keep up, if I could only make it to the top of the hill I would be ok. I had to push through it, plus I was falling behind my dad and brother. Well I caught up to my dad at a red light, clicked my shoe out of my pedal and fell over and started shaking. Several people started freaking out. I told them I was fine and then laid down in the shade for 10 minutes. Again, I felt like quiting, but I really wanted to ride a century (100 + mile ride) So I got up and kept riding.

Katie and Sarah met up with us again out by Red Rock, which was nice, I really needed another pick me up, and then said they would be waiting for us at the finish line.

photo
Dad and I completing our first century!


photo
There wasn't anyone else to take the picture so we took turns. This is Steven and I at the 100 mile mark.


The rest of the ride was pretty uneventful. I had to go much slower than I wanted as my lungs wouldn't let me breathe normally still. I could use about 50% of my lungs, and for hours after the race my breathe sounded wheezy, like I was breathing through a straw. But I finished the race, and we made it to the finish line 17 minutes before they packed up and left. It was not the experience I was hoping for, and I know I could have done much better. My legs are not really sore and I could tell my muscles had plenty of strength left. I just couldn't breathe.

One of the best parts of finishing was getting a big congratulations hug from Katie and Sarah, and for them to tell me that they were proud of me.

So I didn't die and my wife and daughter are proud. Sounds like success to me. But give me a month or so before you ask if I will do it again next year!

IMG_1289
The finish line at last!

IMG_1292
Yes her shirt says "I love Daddy!" Does life get better? I submit that it does not!

IMG_1293
I love my family! They were so nice to support me and drive all over town cheering for us!

IMG_1295
Team Foote - victorious - ready to collapse (at least I was)


IMG_1296
This was Sarah during the last picture wiggling her fingers and making funny faces to make sure we were smiling while our picture was taken. Super cute!

7 comments:

lacie tidwell said...

YAY for new blog posts and CONGRATS Tyler!!! That's incredible!!! good job!!!! I could never do it, I know that- so kudos to you guys!!!

Jan said...

You are pretty much amazing in my book. (OK, you already were, but now more so than ever!) I share your asthma issues so I understand the things you dealt with on this ride completely - yay for you!!

And on another note - yay for a baby boy to add to your family! Love you, Tyler! xoxo

Unknown said...

Good job, dude!

Unknown said...

Congratulations Tyler! That is a great accomplishment.

I'm glad you guys are writing on your blog again. We miss you!

Jess said...

Congrats on finishing the race!! Just think of awesome you'll rock it next year. :) And, congrats on the baby boy too!! We're so excited for you!

my name is becky kelly said...

yay for not die-ing!

Kristin Chesnik said...

Congratulations! That sounds perfectly awful! LOL! The bridge crossing would have been coll though.